Inspiring Self-Love, Self-Acceptance & Inner Peace
Joy Rigberg, MEd, MA, CC
Recovery & Life Coach

How My Intuition Saved My Life

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

So some of you may have read on my Facebook page a week ago that I had a real scary experience at my grandparents house which resulted with me fracturing my ankle.

P.S. If you’d like to continue reading this post on my blog, click HERE.

What happened was this:

My Pop Pop accidentally left his ignition running in his car, one night when we came home from dinner. You see he has one of those keyless cars that is virtually silent, and probable due to the heavy winds and rain that night, none of us noticed that the engine was still running.

Needless to say, the carbon monoxide needed a place to go, so up it seeped into the room that I was sleeping in.  I smelled something that I thought might be gas before I went to bed, but I wasn’t completely sure. I sniffed all over the room and came to the conclusion that the radiator wasn’t working right and I somehow convinced myself that it would magically correct itself.

So I cracked the window to entertain the thought in my head that said, if it is gas, I might die in my sleep. The other two options that I came up with at the time were, to move into the middle bedroom or to wake up my Pop Pop. It turns out that had I chosen option number three and awakened my Pop Pop, he probably would have called 911, therefore saving me from what was fated to occur.

Having chosen to stay in my bed and not take action on my suspicions, I proceeded to breathe in the carbon monoxide from 10 p.m. until 5 a.m. at which point, I was miraculously awakened by an inner voice which said, go to the bathroom.

As I walked out of the bedroom, in somewhat of a stupor, I began to turn the corner in the hall at which point I became completely disoriented, and before I knew what was going on, I collapsed and fell to the ground.

Although I seemed to have lost all control of my body, my sense of hearing was very much in tact and I heard my bone in my ankle break as I collapsed into myself.

I remember sitting there for a moment in shock over what had just occurred and still unable to move when I saw my Pop Pop hovering above me with a look of concern in his eyes.

He asked me what happened and commented on the smell and I told him that I thought there was gas coming from the radiator and that I thought I had broken my ankle.  He got up and called 911 and helped me to get up off of the floor and into the bathroom.

Once the paramedics arrived, they quickly shooed my grandparents out of the house and into the ambulance, and somehow got me on a stretcher and down the stairs at which point one of the paramedics told me about my Pop Pop’s car being left on and that I had been breathing in carbon monoxide all night.

The end of the story is that we all three spent the next seven hours in the hospital breathing in some top grade oxygen and cleansing our bodies of the carbon monoxide. Several painful X-rays confirmed that my ankle bone was fractured and eventually we were all discharged, good as new, except for my ankle which now donned a big black boot that reached up to my knee.

As my 95-year-old Pop Pop wheeled me out of the hospital that day, I thanked him for hearing me and saving my life. He looked at me with tears in his eyes and said, “Well, you’re welcome, but I almost killed you first.” We both laughed with relief.

Later that day, as I reflected on my experience and realized how fortunate I was to have woken up at all, and what might have occurred had I not, I began to bawl like a baby.

Had it not been for my ill fate, my grandparents and I might not be alive!

I am so grateful to be alive, so grateful that my Pop Pop heard me fall and so grateful that my grandparents are alive!!! 

I’m still processing the whole thing myself. I’ve had several nightmares and can still hear my ankle breaking in my thoughts.

I began the week thinking I was going to be a burden on everyone and have slowly been accepting my current reality and practicing receiving all of the love, help and attention being given to me from my family.

Yes it’s true that many of my plans are now on hold, and yet I feel I’m being given an opportunity right now to rest, heal and use this time to write and create.

I’m receiving new awarenesses and learnings all of the time and will probably write another post or two down the road once I’ve gathered all of my thoughts.

It feels important to me that I emphasize the amazing wisdom that resides within each and every one of us, a.k.a, our intuition. Mine literally saved my life. I intend to check in with my intuition/inner guide more often in 2013.

Thank you for reading and I welcome your thoughts and comments!

With love,

Joy

 

2 Responses to “How My Intuition Saved My Life”

  1. Marvin Gorovitz says:

    Joy, this is one beautiful story…..you are certainly a special young lady.

    It was wonderful seeing you and your beautiful family the other day…. but please take my advice and stay off the dance floor for a while.

    Fondly, Marvin

    • mjoyfull says:

      Lol! 🙂 Thanks Marvin for your comment and for signing up for my newsletter! It was great seeing you as well! Wishing you again a healthy and happy new year!
      Warmly,
      Joy

...

css.php